Monday 19 January 2009

singing lessons

I, Too, Sing America
by Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

To our neighbours and friends,
have the happiest Martin Luther King day EVER!

the illustration is by patrick moberg.

find the poem and more from langston hughes here.

the photograph of langston hughes as a boy (c. 1912) is from here.

the photograph of langston hughes on the steps in harlem in 1958 is from here.


this a a cross post from the literacies café.

No comments:

story juice posts and pictures
by tracey mollins are licensed under a

Creative Commons
Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.

Creative Commons License

i support the creation of derivative works in principle, but this is a personal blog and contains photos and stories that are important to my family and friends. if you want to use any material created by me, my family and/or friends, please get in touch.

duck duck go